As we covered in the headlines and on our News Feed, the nation of Saudi Arabia and Muslims all over the world are mourning, after the deadliest tragedy to strike the annual hajj pilgrimage in more than two decades. For a little more coverage on exactly what this pilgrimage is about, I have on the line Doctor 장지향, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Center at the Asan Institute for Policy Studies.
1. The fact that so many people are squeezed into too small a space for this event… weren’t there safety concerns about this before this pilgrimage took place? is this how the hajj pilgrimage takes place every year?
2. Do you think this event will change the way the mass event is held in the future now?
UN General Assembly has passed a Palestinian resolution to allow its flag fly in front of the United Nations headquarters in New York, angering Israel and giving hope to Palestinians seeking to gain full UN membership.
3. What was the voting result regarding the resolution stating that flags of non-member observer states like Palestine “shall be raised at Headquarters”?
4. What does this mean to Palestine and international community?
5. What other activities or campaigns do Palestinians implement to achieve their statehood and/ or their recognition?
6. Any implications of this international dispute to Korea, then?