ISIS publicly has executed Kalid alAsa’ad, a university professor and the former general manager for antiquities and museums in Palmyra on August 18. Then, newlywed Mississippi couple was arrested on the way to the airport for a trip to Syria to join ISIS last week. Why are a number of young Muslims and newly self-converted Muslims seduced by ISIS?
1. What are the key characteristics of ISIS?
2. What is the recruiting system of ISIS? So many young foreign fighters there, right?
3. What is the role of internet in recruiting the members and the rise of this extreme jihadist group?
4. What is your assessment about the future of ISIS? Any implications for Korea?
* 장지향 연구위원 인터뷰, Good Morning Seoul (August 21st, 2015)